Monday, March 7, 2011

5K fun run

On February 26, we all got up and went to a neighboring town to run a 5K. Dad met us there and off we went(sort of). We didn't have a sitter for the kids, so Jason ran first and when he got back I took off.
It was a very small race. Actually it was the first race this particular group had ever put on, so it lacked some of the formalities we have seen in other races. You know things like a timer, placement of any kind and in turn medals. However, it felt kind of nice to have a new place to run, having the help of the adrenaline that comes with a race, but not really having the competition(just a FUN run--if that exists). Most of the people who did it were walking. I am really glad I did it. I woke up that morning with full intent of just watching Jason run, but seeing as it only took him about(no timers remember) 24 minutes to run it, I had time to do it myself. WARNING: Self patting on the back approaching! So, as I said I started later than everyone else(around 30 minutes later), but I finished before at least half of them. Remember that most of them were walking though, so don't be too impressed. It did feel pretty good though.
Here are some pictures from the race.
It was kind of a cold morning, so Jason waited until the last minute to take his long pants and sweater off.

Dad got there just a few minutes before the race began, but was ready to speed-walk his way through the course.

The kids were cold and anxious to see Daddy cross the finish line.

Cailyn is so good at cheering us on when we are competing. I think she is ready to have a race of her own. We will sign her up for the next 1-mile race we find on a Saturday.

Jessica can find a reason to smile anywhere she goes.


David, however, wasn't very happy with the cold temperatures and having to stay in a specific area.
In order of finishing:

Jason won the race by several minutes. Speedy, speedy!


Dad walked most of it with another man, just chatting away. He is very gregarious! He walks very fast and did a great job that day too. Way to go Da!


Here I come, after running the entire time, trying to catch Dad. I didn't make it but had a great time anyway. I probably beat my personal best, but there is no way to really know. Overall I am proud of all of us. Now on to the next one. It will be much harder, but probably more fullfilling too.







3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

That is so fun! We've been thinking about doing a fun run with the kids--and this has me excited for it!
You look fantastic, and I am so proud of you for all you're achieving!

Jenny and Travis said...

You look great Mindi, and your dad as well! What a fun thing to all run it together! Sounds like you did a great job!

real application said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.