Thursday, November 22, 2007

Service

Lately I have been emotionally down. I don't know why, I don't have a reason to be sad or depressed, yet I have been. I thought that I needed to be alone, but that didn't work. I then thought that I needed to have adult interaction, so I invited a friend to come visit with her children, but she cancelled.


Then, a sister I visit teach with invited me and the girls over for hot cocoa and cookies while we help her to decorate her Christmas tree. She has some physical ailments and needed assistance preparing the cocoa and cookies to serve to her guests. Some youth in our ward came over to help(as is tradition for these particular youth) and there was my answer. All I needed was to spend some time serving someone else, you know, take the energy I was using to feel depressed and spend it helping someone else.


I have been taught my entire life that service is important, and I am obviously still learning this aspect of the Gospel. It seems so simple, however it takes many repititions of the same lesson to sink in(for me anyway). I guess in my mind I have always thought that service is for the person you are serving, but really it helps me just as much, if not more. It is like when you teach something you learn it better. I am sure that those of you that are reading this are probably thinking "Duh", but for me it was an answer to my prayer that I couldn't figure out on my own. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to help that wonderful sister and be lifted by her at the same time. I truly believe that she helped me more than I could ever help her.



Cailyn and Jessica had a great time playing with Dillon, the sister's grandson.
Cailyn had to keep putting the ornaments on because she kept pulling them off the tree. She had a great time and was excited to start working on our tree at home.

1 comment:

Rachel Holloway said...

That is so true--service really does help us to take that focus off ourselves and seems to somehow make things feel better! I am glad you were able to do that--if you ever need to chat, let me know. I would say we are home a lot of the same hours during the day! :)