Friday, July 22, 2011

Granola

After looking at the store for granola, I have decided that it would be to our wallets interest to make our own granola. I tried it today and have to say that this is going to become a standard treat around here. It was too easy!



I found a recipe on-line, and I think that it can be modified to your own taste. I tried it following the recipe first(almonds excepted because I didn't have it in the cupboard). Next I will try maple syrup instead of honey just to see if we like it.


Here is the recipe I used:


Granola


4 cups old-fashioned oats

1 1/2 cup sliced almonds

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup honey

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cup raisins


1. mix oats, almonds, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in bowl

2. warm oil and honey in saucepan, whisk in vanilla

3. carefully pour liquid over oat mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon, finish mixing by hand

4. spread granola in 15 x 10 baking pan

5. bake 40 minutes at 300 degrees, stirring every 10 minutes

6. allow to cool completely before adding dried fruit.


*note: store in airtight container at room temperature for 1 week, or in freezer for up to 3 months.



It makes about 7 cups. I put in some freeze-dried strawberries from my food storage along with the raisins. It came out crunchy and yummilicious. If you like granola, try it. You'll be glad you did. THEN you can try different things in it and find your favorite combination. I am pretty pumped about this one.


Next: homemade yogurt(to go with our granola of course)

2 comments:

smoore said...

Thanks for the recipe! You are awesome Mindi and I'm so excited to try this!

Jenny and Travis said...

Look at you go! We'll definitely have to try this sometime! --Jenny P.S. Hope you're feeling better. :)