Wednesday, May 21, 2008


On December 17, 2004(one month and 10 days after Cailyn was born), my mother, Becky Gropp, had brain surgery, beginning her war with a glioblastoma tumor. Coming out of her first surgery, the surgeon announced that she probably had about a year to live, due to the aggressive nature of this type of cancer. For 3 1/2 years now, she has battled taking radiation, chemotherapy, an additional surgery and more chemo, all the while being a fabulous mother, grandmother (AKA Meme), teacher, CES Missionary, daughter, sister, friend, and wife.

Last Thursday she had her last MRI and the doctors discovered that the tumor has grown substantially. It is now the size of a baseball and has grown 3 smaller tumors in different areas of her brain. After hearing advice from many doctors, serious thought and many prayers, my parents(with full support from their children) decided not to do another surgery. They(the "experts") say that we might have 6 months with her, but we are probably looking more at weeks, maybe even days. The funeral arrangements have been made and we are cherishing each moment with her.
I can honestly say this is the hardest thing that I have ever had to do. I never thought that I would have to say goodbye to my mother before I turned 30, but here I am, trying to thank her for everything she has taught me and sacrificed for me, and for all the love I have felt from her over the years. She has always been supportive of me(even through my stupid decisions). Mom has always had a perfect balance between tough love and holding me through my struggles. I pray that she knows how much I love her and look up to her. If only I could be even half the mother, wife, daughter, and friend that she is.

Mom, I love you completely and will miss you terribly!

10 comments:

On Our List said...

Mindi,
This post was beautiful!!! A perfect tribute to your mom. I love you and your mom. I am at a loss of words on what to say to bring you peace and comfort at this time. Just know you and your family are in my prayers and when the time comes, I will be at the funeral to give my last hug to your dear angel mother. Give her a hug for me now and let her know I love her tons...okay I am crying so I hope this all makes sense. May the Lord bring you comfort at this time.

Love,
Sharon

David and Anita Holloway said...

Our heart aches for you and your family. You have a wonderful mother and you are blessed to carry many of her qualities. We love you and are so sorry.

Rachel Holloway said...

My sweet Mindi--

This post just made me cry...It was so good to talk to you the other day, but I wish I could be right there and just hug you so tight. I have often wondered how I would face death with someone close to me. I can't imagine how you are dealing with it and what you are going through. I can't begin to pretend to understand. But I am so sorry.

And I just hope you know you are SO special--and you mother is a wonderful woman. How do I know? Because she raised a woman like you--a friend like you--

I know there isn't much to say that can take away your pain, but I will be here to listen when you need...

I care, and I love you so much! You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Steven & Adrienne said...

Mindi,
This was beautiful. I am so sorry about your mother, but know that we all know what a wonderful woman she is. And you are just as good of a mother as she is. Please give her a hug from me and tell her how much I love her. I love all of you so much, you are a part of my family and always will be. Give your dad and siblings a hug from me. Your mom has been such a blessing in my life...all of you are an inspiration to me. Know we are praying for you and your family. I know the Lord will comfort you and be with you and your family at this time.

Love,
Adrienne

Bennett Fam said...

Mindi,

My heart is truly breaking for you and your family! Your words about your mother were beautiful and of coarse I am crying as I type this.

I am so sad that you have to go throught this at such a young age. I do know that your mom thinks the world of you. I have heard her talk on many occasions about what a wonderful woman you are and she loves to listen to your beautiful voice.

I hope you also know how much I love you. I will always be here for you. If you need anything please call me. If you need me with you I will be at your side in the drop of a hat. You are my sister & my friend. You are in my prayers.

Love ya,
Heather

Lacy said...

wow. It sounds like you have a healthy out-look and was very brave of you to post. Your words definitely brought tears to my eyes. Im glad you have such a wonderful mother.

tina and aaron said...

Mindi,

I am so glad that we got to see you all on Monday and especially Aunt Becky. I don't live too far from you Mindi so if you ever need ANYTHING, please call me. I will be there. We love you and your family. We ache helplessly for all involved.

I love you Aunt Becky! You will be missed greatly!

Love Tina

landstromline said...

Mindi,
My heart is heavy... My soul prays for you. Your mother is a beautiful woman. From moments first meeting she has been a kindred spirit. What a great and magnificent woman. Your love for her is evident in your words, but most of all in the way you live your life.

We love you Mindi, our prayers will continually be lifted to Heaven on behalf of you and your family.

Love, Sheryl

Cassie and Mark said...

Mindi,
I am so sorry. I have only met your mother once, but her love and goodness is reflected in you. I feel truly blessed that you are my sister-in-law. Jason needs and deserves a wonderful person like you.

It was so good to talk with you on the phone and I hope to do it more often. Please know that we love you and we pray for you and your family often.

Yeargains said...

My dear Mindi,

Please give our love and hugs to Aunt Becky!!! She is the best!!

Lisa Yeargain (Gropp)
Hannah, Hailey and TJ.

Love you sweetie!