Thursday, January 31, 2008

Temporarily out of Mind

I don't know what I was thinking. Actually I don't believe I was. I have decided that I would help our financial situation by babysitting. I watch a little baby boy on Tuesdays(Jonathan), but that was all. Well, I recieved a call from a substitute teacher a couple of weeks ago asking if I could watch her son(Vaughn). I gladly said yes. It wouldn't be everyday and even the days that she would need me aren't gauranteed. So, I thought that it would be great. Then, a sister in my ward called and said that her next door neighboor needed someone just this week to watch her grandson(Cole). They were in a bind so I said yes. Then I got to thinking about what I had gotten myself into and began to get worried. Tuesday was going to be an issue.
So, lets count. Cailyn and Jessica + Jonathan + Vaughn + Cole.
OH MY GOODNESS THAT IS 5 CHILDREN.
If any of the kids were Cailyn's age it would be great. Someone to occupy Cailyn and possibly help if needed. However, the oldest child next to Cailyn was 8 months old. I had 4 babies and a toddler. One of them is a very good crawler, one kind of army crawling, Jessica is still just sitting, and then Jonathan is only about 4 1/2 months old and still needs to be held for everything.
Luckily Cailyn is a really good helper, and if she needs to be persuaded I always have chocolate on hand(she is a girl after all--AND Jason's child) She had to, on many occasions, hold a bottle in a baby's mouth, or find a toy, or just sit and talk. I don't think that she will ever realize how much help she was to me that day.
Last night I recieved a call that Cole wouldn't be coming the rest of the week. I literally beamed with relief. You see, Cole is a breastfed baby and is being weened. He is a cuddler and wanted me close at all times. I just simply couldn't be there all the time. He had to do a lot of fussing. I think that he would be fun to watch if he was the only one I was watching, but that wasn't the case.
Today I didn't have any extra babies. I actually got to take a nap. I am thinking now that maybe this happened to help give me some perspective on my life. I realize that my kids seem easy mostly because they are mine and I can read them and know their schedule and how they like things, but I have come to realize even more how sweet my girls are. They are happy little children of God and I am truly blessed to have them in my home. I love them! I hope that I will remember this week(especially Tuesday) when I am asked to watch someone's child again.

2 comments:

Bennett Fam said...

Hey Mindi, I was tagged and now I am tagging you. Check out my blog for instructions.
-Heather

Cassie and Mark said...

Mindi,
Best of luck with babysitting. I truly admire your desire to help out your own family financially and also to help out those you babysit for. Thanks for the tag! I'll answer the questions soon.