Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I can do that, or can I?

As I have watched my Mother grow weaker, I have discovered some things that I taken for granted on a daily basis( I believe we all do).

Among the most common are:
*Being able to stand from a sitting position.
*Being able to stand without help for more than a minute.
*Bladder control(even during pregnancies)
*Having the ability to work electrical devices(i.e. remote controls, cell phones, microwaves)
* Being coherent enough to contribute to a conversation, or even understand it.
*Having the option of working(outside or inside the home)
* Driving
*Sight/hearing
*Fixing my own hair
*Preparing a meal(or even planning one)
*Having the energy to read a chapter in a book(not to mention the sight to do so)
*Memory(especially short term)
*walking without aide

It is difficult to watch my mother weaken and lose her independence(which she is reluctant to give up), but I am blessed to have the opportunity to serve her much in the same way she has served me and many many others. I pray that I will have the strength to help her when needed without frustration and too much fatigue. She is a remarkable woman and I am honored to be a part of her family.

5 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

I hope things are going okay--I am sure this is such a tough time, but I am so impressed with your strength and determination to serve!

Kathryn Cooper said...

I love your mom and family! I can't think of my childhood church memories without the Gropps being nearby.

On Our List said...

I admire you!!! What a hard thing to do. You are very brave. I love you and will be praying for you.

Love,
Sharon

Cassie and Mark said...

You and your family are truly amazing. Please know that we pray for you all daily.

Steven & Adrienne said...

You are my hero! I hope that I would be able to be such a charitable servant if my parents were ever in a similar situation. You are an amazing daughter, and I know your mom really appreciates you. You are my inspiration because you are so loving and so brave. I love you and will be praying for the Lord to give you more strength and patience.