Friday, April 3, 2009

Personal discovery

This afternoon was enlightening. Jessica has been wheezing since last night just after dinner. We thought that she might have asthma or allergies. This morning she woke with the same sound. I watched all day(mostly because she has been either in my arms or right next to me) for any change, but none came. So this afternoon I called the pediatrician's office to see what to do. They said to take her to Cook's Children's Hospital's ER. I decided to try the clinic in our hospital first. However, apparently they stop taking new patients at 3:30 and we arrived VERY shortly after that. So, I called Lynnae to ask her what she thought. I had been trying to get a hold of Jason but to no avail. I told Lynnae of Jessica's symptoms and she said to take her to the nearest ER. In no uncertain terms I panicked and then lost all ability to make decisions. I went to the bank and we went in to wait our turn to see Jason(well, Jessica didn't wait--she went right into his office) and get some help. I told him with as much tear control as I could muster the situation and he picked up Jessica and said, "Let's go!" In less than a minute we were in the car on the way to the ER. I dropped off Jess and Jason and took Cailyn and David with me to feed him and pick up the insurance cards. Then we headed back to the ER to see what was going on. The admissions people were so nice and considerate of us. Turns out that Jessica has pneumonia. We have 2 prescriptions being filled for our sick little princess, and we will be up with her all night as well as David(hopefully at the same time--what are the chances?). The doctor said that we caught it pretty early, but I am a little scared that the other little Texan Holloways will get it as well. Needless to say I will be a bit paranoid for a while.

So, what was my personal discovery? I am not anywhere close to being the calm and rational parent when it comes to crisis. I know, I know. No big shock there. But it is sad to think that I can't think on my own when something needs to be done(especially regarding my children's health).

Oh, lets just add to our problems(actually Jessica's is the adding). We discovered David's thrush about a week ago and have finally gotten a prescription. When discussing that with my Mother-in-law I told her how I was feeling and she said she thought it was mastitis and turns out it is. So, lets count. We have Thrush, mastitis, and pneumonia at the same time here. I am not going to say it! I DO believe in jinxes!

Blessing for April 3, 2009: Modern Medicine

6 comments:

Cassie and Mark said...

Oh Mindi, I'm so sorry! What a blessing that you caught her pneumonia early! I am the same way when it comes to scary situations, especially concerning my children's health, I panic. It sounds like you handled the situation well and I'm so glad that Jason jumped in and was supportive and helpful. You have a great husband! Hang in there and good luck with the sleepless nights. I hope you feel better too!

Ariana said...

Poor Mama!! I hope you all get better VERY soon.

Jenny and Travis said...

You poor little dears! I'm so glad that you've got some prescriptions for the kids though, and I hope you all feel better soon! Our prayers are with you. =) --Jenny

Yeargains said...

Hi Mindi,

I had such a great visit with your dad and sister while they were here. Your baby boy David is just beautiful! I hope that all is well. I don't think we ever not panic when it comes to our kids. I still freak when my kids are away from home. Hang in there!

Love Lisa

Steven & Adrienne said...

Wow they do say when it rains it pours, but my goodness it is flooding on you guys. But hopefully this means blessings are coming soon. I hope everyone feels better, we will keep you guys in our prayers for speedy recoveries.

Waco Gropp said...

The profound blessings of good parents. Someday they will realize that. I know of no better than you two.