Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It's raining baseballs!

This past week we went on vacation and while we were gone Mineral Wells got attacked by some ferocious storm. Texas thunderstorms can be pretty intense, but I have never seen or experienced something like the one they are describing. I am seeing evidence of it all over town, so I know that it is not an exaggeration. I am very grateful we were not here for it. I think that I would be quite terrified through the whole thing, not to mention my children.
Evidently for about 15-20 minutes during an already pretty strong storm, it began hailing and it continued hailing until the hail became the size of baseballs. (Can you imagine millions of baseballs falling from the sky and pounding the earth and everything that gets in its way?) So, everyone without a garage or carport has some serious hail damage. This includes shattered windshields. (unfortunately we left our other car in the driveway, so it has got dented up too)The car lots in town look devastating. It is interesting seeing everyone drive around town with beautiful cracks all over their windshields. I am amazed to see how many roofing companies are popping up all over town. That and windshield repair huts. They are definitely in need right now though. We don't know how much damage we have on our roof, but are getting it checked out by several companies. It is a pretty old roof, so I won't be surprised by anything. Here are some pictures of some of the damaged cars. This is not anywhere close to as bad as it got though. Our part of town wasn't hit the worst.






These first 2 pictures are our windshield.



These next 2 are our neighbor's.

2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

I can't believe that!! I have wondered where you were--been trying to call!! :)

Glad you are back and SAFE most of all!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, fun time camping!
With the storm, I was surprised our house windows didn't break, the wind was HORRIBLE!! The hail was slamming against the windows. Myself, the kids and my mother-in-law were home and in hubby and my room during the storm to stay away from the biggest windows. No car damage (luckily). It was a bad storm, sorry you have damage to deal with