Saturday, April 5, 2008

My old friend the piano


I am beginning to realize that I truly miss my piano. Yes, it is still in my living room, but I don't get a chance to truly play anymore. I am not even close to being considered a pianist, but I have come to really love playing by letting the concentration of the music remove me from troubles, concerns, sorrows; the world I guess.
Jason gave me the opportunity to attend a rehearsal at the High School last week. It was an hour and a half of pure bliss. Weird huh? After about 17 years of choir rehearsal almost every day I thought that 10 months of a break would be nice. But, in all honesty that was a complete love of mine, and I miss it terribly. I love to see a new piece of music and figure it out, sing/play it over and over again until I master it. Competitions and concerts are not exactly my favorite thing, but preparing the music for them is rejuvenating to my spirit.
Cailyn can handle about 5 minutes of me playing. That is all fine and dandy but I am just getting started at that point. I could play for hours at a time with a new book to play and sing. But, my girls just don't have the patience for it. What ends up happening is they are screaming or crying and I am struggling to tune it out while I try to lift my heart. Then I am more frustrated than I was before I even started(kind of like an enormous craving for chocolate and you get a tiny lick and they take it away).
I am longing for the day when they either enjoy my playing and singing or they are away from the house long enough for me to have some private time with my piano.
Oh piano, I desperately miss you!

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

It is so hard to go for a while without playing. There truly IS something soothing and beautiful to the soul with music--and you do a WONDERFUL job of sharing that with others.

Waco Gropp said...

The challange of little people, you do such a wonderful job with the girls and with music. What a doll you are.

On Our List said...

I feel your pain. My kids hated when I would sit down and play the piano till I started playing Primary songs to them. I change the words to include their names and they start giggling. Don't worry once they start school, you will have time just to lose yourself in your piano. I also love the video of your girls. The spinning thing was the funniest thing I have ever seen a baby do at that age. What a beautiful family you have!!

Love ya,
Sharon