Thursday, March 27, 2008

Noxious Weeds!

I have decided to plant a garden. Not much, just a few vegetables. Tomorrow a sister in my Ward is coming over to give me some advice. She is on our Emergency Preparedness Committee and one of her areas of expertise is gardening. I have always wanted to have a garden, but anyone who knows me, knows that I can kill any plant just by looking at it, so I never have.
After I made this decision, I looked at my yard. WOW, I knew it was bad, but I had no idea how bad. I have been pulling weeds out of the front yard, and raking old leaves and pecans up in my back yard for a day and a half now. (I am getting the best work out I have had in a long time) I already have 17 bags of leaves/pecans filled in the back and I have only done half the yard.
I think that I would be done if I didn't have children to take care of. But as it is, I do, so the process is going slower than I would like. If it wasn't so stinking hot outside I wouldn't even think twice about just having them out there with me all day. But, it is in the 90s today and stale. Cailyn could handle it, but I hate to see Jessica all red and sweaty. I guess I will just have to wait until Jason gets home so he can watch the girls for me.
As soon as I get the garden planted I will post some pictures of my work. I am really excited about it and hope that I can make something grow.

***On a side note, I have this ENORMOUS fear of snakes. Last fall I found a snake in my front yard and have been scared to go in the back ever since. That is why it is so horrible back there. It is completely my fault. AND, just so all of you know, I found another snake this morning in the back. This is one BIG reason I don't do much gardening.

7 comments:

On Our List said...

Yikes!!! I hate snakes too. I always see them in my garden and run like mad to the house. Hats off to you for starting a garden. It is a lot of work but its worth it when you eat the vegetables in the fall. I love gardening...not the snakes...but the peace I feel there...it is how I got over my miscarriages...I went to work in the garden and talk to God and felt peace...probably why I still brave the snakes months later. Good Luck on you garden.

Love ya,
Sharon

On Our List said...

P.S. I can't believe its 90 there...it is 30 here. I think I will move.

Rachel Holloway said...

GOOD LUCK! We just bought some seeds to plant--but our weather is MUCH cooler than yours! Geesh--90?? Hard to believe!

Steven & Adrienne said...

I hate snakes also. That is why I am glad to live up here now, where most the snakes are the little garter snakes. But yea for you starting a garden. I have been doing one since I was married, and it makes you feel so good to eat the things you grow. Last year we grew a watermelon, and it was bigger then any you can find in the stores. Boy did we show that succor off and it was so yummy! Hopefully you won't find any other snakes and your garden will be awesome!

-Adrienne
PS By the way 90 degrees, I am jeolous we are still in the 40's as a high and have a chance of snow today. yuck!

Julie Gropp said...

I can't wait to start our garden here, but like the others said, it won't be warm enough for atleast another month. We had our first garden last year, and it was great. We are doubling the size this year and hope to have quite a harvest. Good luck with yours!
Julie

Bennett Fam said...

I bet you will have a wonderful garden. Someday when we have a house Ryan and I would like to have a garden too. Good Luck!

Heather ;-)

Bennett Fam said...

I noticed you lost a couple more pounds. Way to go!! That is really awesome you are sticking to your plan.
I talked to your Mom on Sunday she said you have been having a hard time watching extra kids. I'm sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you feel. I'm glad I was finally able stop. Hopefully it will get better OR you can stop doing it. Either way, Good Luck!

Love ya,
Heather ;-)