Sunday, September 21, 2008

Book of Mormon Stories

Last night our Branch had our Book of Mormon Stories activity. Each group/auxiliary performed a skit from the Book of Mormon. I know that technically this wasn't my first activity to put together for the Branch, but this was the first one I have attended. It sounds weird I know, but all of the other activities happened this past summer while I was in Waco. So, in my mind, if they didn't turn out it wasn't my fault, I wasn't even there. With that said, I was pretty nervous about this one. I was trying to keep the transitions as smooth as possible, but there were delays. I think that everyone had a good time, and I hope that they will have a greater appreciation for the Book of Mormon also.

The Branch Presidency started with the story of Nephi and the Brass Plates. President Darden was Laban and Jason was Nephi. There was Laman/Lemuel(Bro. Burgeson) and of course the Angel(Bro. Jones) stopping the beating on Nephi. It was perfect. They used a bag of skittles to try and buy the plates, a mask to sneak through the city, and a wooden sword to smite off Laban's head. It was complete with the theme song of "Indiana Jones" when the plates were obtained. They had everyone rolling by the end. Now everyone knows how silly Jason can be. There is no more hiding with him. Sorry Babe.

The Primary kids went next with the story of Ammon protecting King Lamoni's sheep. Cailyn got to be a sheep and was actually scared when they were scattered. She began to cry running to me. It was sweet. Especially the part when Ammon was cutting off the arms and Jessica decided to help protect her sister and took her fork to cut some arms off too. The Primary did a great job!

The Relief Society continued the story with the Conversion of King Lamoni(chosen for the specific purpose of saying that the King stinketh). They did a great job. They invited some of the kids up to help be servants. They even fell to the ground, with a fair amount of teasing about being dead. To which Lamoni responded, "Not yet!" Continued silliness was welcomed.

The Young Women(supposed to have been the youth, but our 3(yes only 3) young men couldn't make it) finished the night with the story of Abinadi and King Noah. They acted out the story while someone narrated. I think these can be the funniest because they have to come up with actions to portray what is going on. It was also a perfect performance.

Overall it was as good or better than I expected it to be. We had a wide variety of snacks, mostly healthy foods. But, we also had a cotton candy machine which was a big hit as soon as we figured out how to use it. Thank you, Donna for coming to our rescue.


Nephi going to get the Brass Plates
King Lamoni's sheep being scattered.
Jessica going to get the bad guys with her fork.
The servants of King Lamoni covering their noses because he is beginning to stink.
King Lamoni, his wife, and Ammon overcome with the Spirit of God.
King Noah is about to hear Abinadi's testimony.
Abinadi telling the priests of King Noah not to touch him becuase he hasn't finished his mission.
Our captive audience.
Our food table being enjoyed and emptied.
A father in the audience trying to distract his little girl while she is acting. He was successful.
Thank you to all that came, helped set up, and take down. We appreciate all of you.
I hope that the future activities will be just as fun, and better attended. As usual we had the same "Core" families come. Hopefully we can expand that to some of the newer members.

Next, Halloween. Another activity that I will not attend. We will be in Cleveland, Ohio, visiting Brandon and Rachel. HOORAY!

3 comments:

Waco Gropp said...

I am impressed, then again I am impressed alot with you.

Rachel Holloway said...

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH!!!! WHAT A SUCCESS! I am SO glad!

And I am ESPECIALLY GLAD YOU GUYS ARE COMING! I keep pinching myself wondering if it is real! PLEASE don't cancel! We can't wait!

Steven & Adrienne said...

Wow, what a great idea. I will have to tell our ward about that idea, I bet it was a blast. I loved the pics from it. I am glad it turned out so well for you.