Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cleaning and giving

For the past two days I have been cleaning like crazy and giving things away that we have never and will never use. I love to look back at the end of the day and see the progress I have made. It makes me feel like I am contributing to our lives.
I started Monday morning cleaning out our van. I knew that if I was going to do it, it needed to be early in the morning. So, I took Jess with me to the driveway and she played while I vacuumed and cleared(Cailyn was still sleeping). On my list for the week was the garage also, but originally I planned to wait for Jason to help. That went out the window(He already does so much for us, I hate to ask him to clean the garage also). I wanted it done(and again morning is best for working outside in Texas), so I went to work. By this time Cailyn was awake and she came out to play. They played really well for quite some time. However, just when I had made a bigger mess and was starting to reorganize the girls wanted to eat breakfast and go inside. I wanted to keep working(when I lose my momentum, it is hard to find it again). It felt really inconvenient to have to tend to these little beauties while I was trying to work. But, I got them something to eat and sent them inside while I finished the garage.
Then I came in and started laundry. I really dislike this job(well, who likes to do laundry?) and so it tends to get piled up. But, I got the laundry done also. Then I reorganized our pantry so I know what my options are for dinner and what I need to get at the store.
So, on my weekly list of chores to do I had 6 different things and I accomplished 4 of them on Monday alone.
Yesterday, I went to work on the girls' closet. I needed to go through their clothes and store the things that don't fit anymore and put in things that do. I haven't liked the way the closet was so I took everything out(with exception of the hanging clothes) and started over. Again there were many times that I felt frustrated that the girls needed me while I was trying to do a big job. After all, I am their Mommy I should care for them. But, kids are very inconvenient sometimes aren't they? I figured out a new system so we can find their shoes and blankets and I even had room to put one of the toy boxes to get that overflowing mess out of the room. I felt really good about it. AND, on top of that, I found 2 dressers and a round table on Craig's list for $35. I am so excited. We had to travel about 1 hour and 15 minutes away to get them, but they will work better than what we have. I am going to get some paint and make them really cute and start using them. As soon as I have them ready I will take a picture and show you. Jason took us to Coldstone creamery on the way home and we enjoyed some tasty treats together as a family. It was a nice day yesterday: productive and fun. Next is the bathrooms. Why did I leave my least favorite chore for the end? I will probably end up cleaning out a few more closets before I get the bathrooms done. I am such a procrastinator.

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

Procrastinator? HARDLY! Look at all you did! I am so impressed! I wish I felt that motivated today...I wish I felt that invested in caring for my kids today....but I feel blah and probably nothing will get done.

Good for you! Add furniture refinisher to your list of talents! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Steven & Adrienne said...

Wow that is amazing you could do all of that with the 2 girls. I can't believe you did so much in 2 days...ok you have motivated me to switch out all the kids clothes and store them away...and maybe I will tackle the garage and car.

And cute hair do's, Emily is into headbands now, so I miss the days I could do new hairstyles on her...maybe for church she will let me.

Waco Gropp said...

Wow, lady I am impressed. On the bunk bed thing. Just buy a hammock or two, that should be fun. Love you and your blog.