Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Veteran's Memorial Cemetery

Last Saturday Dad, Memema, Lynnae + her kids, and of course we, the Holloways, traveled to Killeen to see Mom's headstone. Because Dad served our Country he and Mom were eligible to use a Veteran's Cemetery. The closest one is in Killeen. Every time I have seen this cemetery I have been impressed. I think it is absolutely beautiful. It is very well kept up and just shows complete respect for those who have died. I am very happy with my parents' decision on this cemetery. I have tried to capture the beauty of the entire place, but I am not as learned with photography as so many others. I wish that I could have snapped my fingers and had my sister-in-law, Rachel there to really do the place justice. But alas, you just have my pictures, so please use your imagination.







This was a gorgeous circle memorial with the names and pictures of the soldiers who have died in the recent years. Very moving.






This is where we gathered with Mom's body for the actual burial. My brothers, uncles, and Jason stood up by the wall, shoulder to shoulder with the casket in front of them. There was a row of flowers behind them. I really wish that I could take that picture out of my head and print it because it was a beautiful moment.


Meme's last gift to her grandchildren was a flower from the funeral. They each got to choose which flower they wanted, just as Meme would have wanted it.









This is the Easter Lilly that Jason's bank gave to us for the funeral. We have acquired that and it has blossomed beautifully. However, I have this special gift of killing any plant life around me, so please keep it in your prayers.

4 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

Don't doubt your abilities! I think these are beautiful pictures! :)You did a great job, and most of all I am glad you were able to go see everything in place.

Cassie and Mark said...

Thank you for sharing these pictures. Cemeteries are so sacred to me and your photographs captured the beauty very nicely.

On Our List said...

You did a beautiful job. Thanks for sharing. Honestly it was hard to see your mom's name there. Doug and I cried but I am glad you shared the pictures. We love you!!!

Jenny and Travis said...

Mindi,
These pictures are great! Thanks for sharing these pictures, as well as some memories from the funeral. We continue to pray for you and your family that the pain of loss will lessen and lessen as a feeling of peace begins to fill its place. We love you. --Jenny and Travis