Thursday, September 11, 2008

An unexpected lesson

I decided to go ahead and clean the bathrooms tonight(after a conversation with my sister-in-law). I actually started with the kitchen floor and made my way to the bathrooms. I do feel so much better now that they are done. Every time I clean the before mentioned places I think, "How did I let it get this bad? I should do this more often, so it's not so hard or disgusting." However, every time I think about cleaning them I cringe. If I could pay a maid to clean anything in my house it would be the kitchen floor and the bathrooms.
So, needless to say I didn't exactly enjoy myself this evening. But, I did have at least an hour(and I mean at least) to myself to think while I worked. I thought of all the things that my girls need from me that they don't get. I thought of my short temper and the gently voice I hear other mothers giving their children. I thought of my skillful "couch parenting" now that Cailyn can help so much. I thought of all the creative ways that other parents cook so their children will eat veggies(or a well balanced meal). I thought of other mothers who actually cook everyday. I thought of other mothers who do almost everything by themselves because their husbands are gone so much. I thought of all the crafts and outings that my girls are missing out on. I thought of other mothers who keep their house clean and tidy 24/7.
Then, a gentle yet powerful thought came into my mind. Cailyn and Jessica were entrusted to me, specifically me, for a reason. I have the ability to give them what they truly need. Yes, I have shortcomings that I need to work to overcome, but if I or the girls couldn't make it in this family then the Lord wouldn't have trusted me with their mortal life.
I know that I can do more for the girls. I know that if I look to the example of parenting that I have received in my life(and follow it), both temporal and spiritual, then I will be exactly what my children need me to be.
I began thinking about how the Lord taught me tonight. He first allowed me to think of all the things that I could do better, to think of specific examples in my life of others doing what I want my girls to have, and THEN he comforted me. He impressed upon me, "Yes, I need to improve, and Yes, I CAN improve" in that oh so gently way that only my Heavenly Father and the Spirit can. He didn't tell me that what I am right now will be alright, because that would be false. He and I both know that I need to grow and that comes from constantly working and stretching my abilities. If anyone else had told me that, I would have been almost instantly depressed or overwhelmed. However, because the Lord took the time to teach me, and I was willing to listen, I feel empowered to improve.
I know even more now after tonight that my Heavenly Father loves me and is aware of me constantly. What a simple and strong lesson he taught me tonight in a gentle way that I am trying to emulate with my children.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so inspiring!! I feel the same way about so much of what you are saying! I'm happy to hear your view and also your experience. I agree so much with you on hearing it from someone other then Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost. It truly does make all the difference. Someone else...it sounds like a judgment or accusation, but from Them, it's more of a gentle reminder and guide.
Thanks for the reminder :)

On Our List said...

Good for you!!! Way to be in tune to the Spirit. That actually means you are doing things right to be able to have this wonderful lesson while cleaning. Heavenly Father is so proud of you.

I also have to say your girls look SO CUTE with their many hair styles. You are amazing.