Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Relief Society Broadcast

Saturday night Jason watched the girls so I could go to Granbury to watch the General Relief Society Broadcast. I can't thank him enough because it was the lift that I needed. Our Stake had a dinner before serving baked potatoes which I have been craving, Hooray. We started with a song. I have to say that a men's choir is my favorite to listen to, but listening to the sounds of the different women's voices in the room truly invited the Spirit. I couldn't help but think how wonderful it was to be a woman and have the blessings(and yes, sometimes trials) that come with that. I had to control the tears in the opening song(I was in for a long night of tears). The Stake President spoke shortly thanking the women for sacrificing much of this world to be mothers and serve others. We ate(I sat with Sadie), chatted, and giggled. Then we went into the chapel to watch the broadcast. I loved it. The music(did anyone else notice how much younger that choir sounded than the Mormon Tabernacle Choir?) was beautiful, and the speakers were inspired. I was so blessed to have Sadie sitting next to me because during Sister Beck's talk she shared an experience of her mother moving from her next door neighbor to somewhere across the country. She shared her anguish of 'losing' her mother. She said that she sat with her mother prior to her move and said, "Who will be my mom?" I like to believe that I have a reasonable amount of control of my tears in public, however I didn't have time to stop it. It came so quickly. I didn't have a tissue and was having a hard time keeping my sobs quiet. Sadie came quickly to my rescue(Thanks a million!!!!!). She, in her loving manner, wrapped her arms around me, handed me a tissue, and comforted me as I cried. Sister Beck's mother told her she will always have a mother if she turns to the Relief Society. There will always be someone to help her with children, talk with, cry with, and laugh with. I would not say that I am extremely close to members of my Relief Society but I will have to do a lot of relying in days to come. All of the talks were amazing, but that first talk of the evening touched me the way I needed it. Shortly after the meeting a sister in the Ward that we were just split from came to me and said with tears in her eyes, "I would like to be your Relief Society Mother." I take great comfort in knowing that there are beautiful daughters of God watching and caring for others. I know it is something that my Mother did constantly and I pray that I can follow her example.

4 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

Thanks for your thoughts...I only caught half of it...and can't wait to read the rest. YOu made me tear up!

Anonymous said...

I was soo happy to be there with you for both events. I enjoyed the time we spent together. I'm also glad that I got to sit with you for both the dinner and the broadcast. It was a very spiritual meeting, I felt it too. I felt so blessed to be there.

Waco Gropp said...

You Mindi are a beautiful person just when I think I have a handle on this "grief" thing. I read your blog or your sister calls. However the two of you feel about missing your mother, cube it for me. I understand why some men remarry so soon, however I feel a little sorry for those replacement wives. Plenty of room in the house it is the heart that's the problem.

Cassie and Mark said...

I too loved the whole meeting, but especially Sister Beck's talk. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.